The GreatNonprofits Fundraising Checklist
Storytelling and fundraising go hand in hand, but sometimes the path from a great story to actual donations can seem a little fuzzy. We’re breaking the storytelling process down into a step-by-step path to fundraising success in this handy fundraising checklist.
1. Invite Stories – Use this Template
If you love our work then tell the world! You have an opportunity to help us make an even bigger difference in our community. GreatNonprofits — the #1 Source of Nonprofit Stories and Feedback — is honoring highly regarded nonprofits with their 2016 Top-Rated List.
Won’t you help us boost visibility for our work by posting a brief personal story of your experience with us? All content will be visible to potential donors and volunteers. It’s easy and only takes 3 minutes! Go to [INSERT YOUR PROFILE PAGE URL] to get started!
2. Storytelling Fundraising CheckList
July: Invite Stories
- Use the GreatNonprofits email template and encourage your community – volunteers, beneficiaries, donors – to submit a story about their experience with you.
Nonprofits with at least 10 positive stories receive the Top-Rated Award
- Identify people who have compelling stories to tell, send them a personalized note to ask for them to share their story.
August: Select Stories for Print
- Direct Mail: Select the most compelling stories to be featured in your direct mail
- If you received a Top-Rated award, add the Top-Rated Badge to your website or Direct Mail
September: Create Brand Awareness
- Post stories on your social media
October: Invite Stories
- Invite your last stories for the Top-Rated awards. Deadline is October 31st.
- At your Volunteer Training, show/tell your volunteer stories
- After your volunteering event, ask for stories
November: Select and Promote your Stories
- Website: Add your most compelling stories to your homepage, as well as donation page
- Board Fundraising letter: Add your most compelling story
- Gala, holiday party, or end-of-year show: A client, volunteer or donor can speak and tell their story at the event. Include stories in program brochure, or slides being displayed.
- If you received a Top-Rated award, use the Press Release template and send out to the Press Contacts list provided.
December: Turn Your Stories Into Donations
- Tuesday, Dec X: Add stories to your Giving Tuesday social media posts, and emails
- Donor/Volunteer Email #1: Include a story from a donor, volunteer or beneficiary.
- Donor/Volunteer Email #2: Include a story from a donor, volunteer or beneficiary.
Now go get started sharing your organization’s most powerful stories! Be sure and let us know how it goes in the comments below. Good luck!